Ricotta
I have made my ricotta for decades. No fresh milk from farmers in central Ohio lol
one gallon whole milk( not ultra pasteurized)
Three tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar.
salt 3/4 teaspoon
Place milk in large heavy bottom pot, heat over medium low heat, stirring frequently, ( milk scorches very quickly)
Stir and cook until small bubbles start to form around perimeter of pan. If you have a thermometer approximately 190•
add vinegar, salt, lemon juice. Remove from heat
stir well cover .
Curds like clouds, should start to form.
Gently place in fine mesh strainer( you could line with cheese cloth)
let drain for five minutes.
Refrigerate and cover.
Note:
Often I add whipping or heavy cream if I am using the ricotta for dessert.
I prefer the taste with the heavy cream .
The lemon juice is optional you could use white vinegar .
Reacties